View Single Post
Old 15 Sep 2020, 09:26 (Ref:4002555)   #194
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I imagine they do, but the way it happened is that 1 driver got it wrong, and everyone else reacted to them. So I guess they did follow their practicing? Maybe?

I _think_ what happened was Kvyat went too early, which then caused everyone else. Since you can only react to the car in front (you can't see further than that) you have to trust that they did the right thing.

But certainly cars around Kvyat and Russell, relatively far up the field, caused the incident. Cars like Latifi, Gio and Sainz can only react to the cars in front and accelerated.

However, I do feel like a lot of cars were hanging back too far. Kimi and Vettel were a good 100m or so back. That's absolutely not ok.
similarly to what you suggested earlier in the thread, radio 5/the bbc website were determined that it was russell who went first. which really just shows how hard it is to place blame, and they were ultimately correct to read half the field the riot act rather than specifically have a go at one or two drivers. going at that particular point was probably a lot closer to a non-baku restart, so it's not that far fetched. unfortunately the further back you get in the field, the faster they're going to turn up at the scene of the accident assuming everyone else is leaving a similar gap between cars.

the same thing happens in a road accident on a busy road - one person has to react at the last minute because they weren't paying attention or were unsighted, which cascades backwards getting closer and closer to the point where somebody can't react in time and goes into the back of someone else. then all hell breaks loose until there's a big enough gap to break the chain.

but it goes without saying that they shouldn't need specific rules for restarts. they're all grown ups, not 12 year olds in karts.