Thread: DTM DTM 2020
View Single Post
Old 19 Feb 2020, 15:09 (Ref:3958507)   #91
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
W2Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the answer for both DTM and even V8SC is just going to be as a sort of spec series. Perhaps not full on dictating exactly what you can run, but putting in place a set of strict rules that the teams can work around. I think DTM is too much of niche to work as a customer racing program like GT does, so I think the best option will be to have a few companies to choose from for the chassis, and a few engine options, with no association from manufacturers. You can skin the car however you want, as a Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Porsche, Chevrolet, Ford, it does not really matter as the engine and chassis options would be the same for all. This works really well for TA2 which is a very fast growing series, the cars look great, and the racing is very good, and the costs are very low. A DTM program with similar ideals would be more expensive than that of course, but much less expensive than current DTM. If they can't begin to attract the Asian manufacturers I'm not sure what other options they will have going forward.

I attached some pictures of TA2 cars for those who have not seen them. There are 2 or 3 chassis makers, and I believe all the cars are moving to a spec GM LS engine option. Total cost for a race ready car is about $130k. If they can make this thing for that price then I'm sure they could build some pretty mean cars comparable, or faster than a DTM car for $500k or so which would be a huge price cut over the existing costs.

Just a thought, I love this series so I hope they figure something out as there isn't much else like it.
Attached Thumbnails
SS287.jpg   SS288.jpg   SS289.jpg