View Single Post
Old 1 May 2003, 10:58 (Ref:586080)   #9
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
BMW so nearly did enter the DTM, of course; you don't think they built the 4-litre V8-engined M3 GTR for sports cars, do you? I think Munich's complaint is that the DTM is a 'national' championship (with some foreign rounds), and therefore won't generate as much exposure as an international series like the ETCC. Which is a shame; I'd rather see Mullers J and D and Giovanardi and Priaulx at the wheels of fire-spitting V8s than tame little 2-litre machines.

As for Ford, they could, of course, wedge a V8 into the Mondeo, though, as someone above remarked, it would be an ideal way to promote the Mustang in Europe. If not, why not have Prodrive wedge a Mustang powerplant into a Volvo C70, and finish the job Zakspeed started?

Toyota/Lexus would also be obvious contenders, as their only outlets at the moment are F1 and the Injured Racing League. A V8-engined IS would be spectacular, and could hardly hurt their profile in Europe.