Old 10 Feb 2020, 14:51 (Ref:3956758)   #13
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Well of course. You don't grow the best classic meeting on the planet by making losses. If it didn't make handsome profits, there would be no reason to invest in the future. Without profits Silverstone would be the windblown airfield I remember from the seventies.

As far as I know the owners of Silverstone are not the promoters of the Silverstone Classic. I think I am right in thinking that the promoter then sells on race slots to other organisations (and possibly on again) and each time these 'layers' make a fat profit without actually adding to the spectacle.

Quote:
Does Lord March run The Revival as a charity? Le Mans Classic? Monaco? Amelia Island concours? Of course not.

Unfortunately Max you've fallen in to the trap of taking an extreme point of view to make your point. Why should objection to greatly increasing the price of an article (the Classic/Revival) have to be seen as wanting charity. Is there no such thing as a middle road?

Quote:
We have such an aversion to profit in this country, totally ignoring the fact that profit provides jobs for thousands round the circuit never mind the wider community.

Maybe some lefties don't like profits, but I think that's the minority and certainly not many in motor racing circles. I am a capitalist by nature and training and I understand the economics of profits paying for research, development, employment etc. and the taxes levied on these profits goes towards all the services we demand such as health, roads, libraries, government, etc. Some may see the Classic as profiteering rather than profit making.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 10 Feb 2020 at 16:01.