View Single Post
Old 24 Mar 2014, 20:00 (Ref:3383737)   #293
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/how...1549624639/all
What do you guys think of Jalopnik's ideas?

My thoughts:

1. I think everyone can agree that a new good-looking chassis would be welcome.

2. Not sure about direct production-based engines, would entirely depend on manufacturer interest

3. Free design areas would be nice, if costs didn't spiral out of control

4. I completely disagree with the author that Indy shouldn't race at ovals, they provide variety and are a traditional element of the series. One commenter did have a good idea of having an even split 18-race season (6 street races, 6 ovals, 6 road courses).

5. Indycar is already working on an international expansion/off-season, but I think 25 races might be too much.

6. We'd love to see more constructors, but the question is who they would be. With most manufacturers involved heavily in other motorsports already.
1. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a new chassis in the offing in the very near future but aero-kits will be introduced next year, something some teams have been reluctant to implement. The aero-kit concept was something Lola originally came up with when bidding for the IndyCar contract. The intention then, once Dallara got the contract was for them to produce the safety cell and tub, the various aero adaptations would be added on. Apart from the aesthetics, which hopefully the aero-kits will rectify, there's nothing actually wrong with the chassis itself and it has produced some excellent racing.

2. There's a rumour Cosworth may return, though how that would fit in with road relevance I'm not too sure unless Ford are also involved, as both Cosworth and Ford are involved in producing the Duratec engine.

3. Free design areas could be an alternative to a new chassis.

4. IndyCar without Ovals, would be like fish without chips, it's fundamental and is what sets it apart from other OW series but I would certainly welcome an end to double headers and a return to Laguna Seca and some of the other traditional pre-split tracks.

5. In 2001, the season it all started to go horribly wrong for CART, they were racing outside of North America in Australia, England, Germany and Japan. Any international exposure has to be good for a series.

6. It would be nice to see other constructors, IndyCar was never about spec-racing but obviously it has to be cost effective for other manufacturers to be involved. Long gone are the days when an endless stream of tobacco money could finance a team like Penske, who in turn could build his own cars in Poole, Dorset, England, which brings up the question of better sponsors. However, with the current viewing figures, IndyCar isn't attracting better sponsors and Schmidt Peterson Motorsports , for example, lost HP and Intel.