View Single Post
Old 11 Aug 2012, 16:11 (Ref:3118697)   #244
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC View Post
Mazda is made in the US?

Further, Mazda is all about the grassroots enjoyment of their cars. They have positioned themselves very well (imho) as the manufacturer of cars that are fun to drive on the road and competitively. There is no real connection (again, imho) or gain in Mazda having any involvement with the "top rung" of open wheel racing here in America. Their bread & butter is with the grassroot car enthusiasts. Further, I don't believe Mazda moves enough untits to be considered a big enugh player to be able to take the step from a financial basis.

Besides, Penske and Ganassi have no affiliation with Mazda. Having nothing to gain there will be no impetus for them to et Mazda involved
For all their involvement in these junior formula categories over the years and whatever money they have put in, they have never leveraged it or been able to use it in a positive way. I think it was there for a while the Star Mazda champ was getting a factory ride in Grand Am.

Their involvement in grassroots motorsport I believe has been successful. It got a lot of people out there racing Mazdas and in addition they've had a successful business selling parts to all these thousands of racers. They've been smart about it because it is a sustainable business, rather than just dumped millions out there on some obscure racing series and hoping you get some marketing benefit out of it.