View Single Post
Old 23 Jul 2020, 19:49 (Ref:3990457)   #874
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2020/0...re-in-lmp.html

"That would be my my view. The devil’s in the details, but I think these LMP2 teams have a choice. Go LMDH, or go LMP3 and even call it LMP2 if you want to, it would still be the second fastest prototype class! Those cars are brand new, fantastic and much less expensive to run. Then whether it’s GT, GT3, GTD, call it what you want. We know where there’s the heaviest concentration of manufacturers of GT cars, both for Pro and Pro Am .And then you’ve got four classes, and three types of racecars. Your top prototypes, your second prototypes, GTs and you’ve got a Pro class and a Pro Am class, which is what sportscar racing has always been about."

I guess 9 years (or perhaps 10-11 if we count LMPC) of Pro-Am racing existing in the world of ACO now equals to "always has been about"

I wouldn't be overly surprised if they rebranded LMP3 as new LMP2 though, as he says
That overall class structure isn't all that bad. Especially of LMDh ends up with a similar budget to current P2 cars. It would give teams choices of what they want to run, and if the elms and imsa both take that same class structure it would be a benefit to the teams and drivers wanting to run the big races.