Thread: Amaroo Park
View Single Post
Old 3 Nov 2015, 06:03 (Ref:3587727)   #10
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having been around for a little while I can vouch for the fantastic atmosphere and quality of racing that Amaroo provided to the substantial crowd lining the rocks of the amphitheatre.
Many a sensational dice was witnessed and many a reputation was made or dashed on a regular basis.
I was fortunate to have started officiating at Catalina in 1963 and when tarmac races were ended in 1969 Amaroo was already running and had just come under control of the ARDC.The club operated Amaroo until 1998 and I missed officiating at only 2 or 3 meetings during that time - the public loved the place just like they did with Katoomba and it was common to see it full to overflowing with spectators.
Obviously lots of history and stories and I can still remember the final race, a butcher's picnic with trophies for not only the podium but for the last car to cross the line to bring the barrier down on what was a sensational track and era in motorsport.
As Casper has noted the venue was more than just a racetrack with other types of activities available including a mean dirt circuit that always provided plenty of action.
For a while both Amaroo and SMSP (Eastern Creek) were operating and it was a shock to go from a tight little track to the more open nature of the creek and the lack of spectators.
Now only EC/SMSP remains with Oran Park having been a casualty of the urban sprawl and hopefully with its zoning and State Govt ownership it will hang around for a while. Bathurst Regional Council is keener than ever to promote Mount Panorama as a developing motor sport hub so God's own country looks to be safe !!!