Thread: 2017 DTM
View Single Post
Old 25 Jul 2017, 11:47 (Ref:3754222)   #95
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
The last time we were in a situation like this (back in the 1997-1999 interregnum when it became clear that Supertouring was just as unsustainable as the original class 1), people came up with all kinds of crazy and creative ideas on how to fill the void at the top of the German (and to a lesser degree: European) racing landscape. In the end, none of them really succeeded, but I am pretty sure people will throw a lot of sh*t at the wall over the next 2 or 3 years to see what sticks.

And just like back then the solution to the problem doesn't necessarily have to be a touring car series at all. Back in 1999 Willy Weber came tantalizingly close to launching EUROC, a series for front-engined open top sports prototypes with manufacturer specific engines and bodywork but spec chassis. Similarly, I can see people trying to fill the void left by DTM this time around with DPis, Indycars or even a national version of Formula E.

Quote:
ADAC already has GT Masters (GT3) and a TCR series, and both in very good health. Why would they want to combine those as a DTM replacement ?
Well, I'm not saying they would combine them. "Raid" might be the better term. As for the motivation for teams joining DTM rather than staying in their home series: ADAC GT is still the rather amateurish two-driver/fixed-time pitstops format, so I could see a number of teams interested in a straight up single driver format. Probably not the majority, but they might be able to come up with a ten car GT3-field.

As for TCR: ADAC TCR is oversubscribed, so one might argue that there's a demand for more places to run these cars in Germany, especially with a credible TV package.