View Single Post
Old 1 Dec 2021, 20:14 (Ref:4086192)   #40
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Eastern Creek, Bend, Phillip Island?
Given they are only a handful of seconds faster than 2.0L Formula 3 cars with less than half as much power, doesn't that tell you all need to know about how little downforce S5000 cars have?

At least on those Grade 2 circuit, the S5000 should at least be as close to Formula 2 level as possible IMO. You can always put the shorter undertrays and small front wings back on for lower grade circuits.
S5000 cars are an FIA category 3 car, so have to fit within the envelope for that category - IF they were to be upgraded to Category 2 there'd need to be many more changes than you suggest, including tubs I believe although not 100% sure on that score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Grade 1:
Albert Park Circuit

Grade 2:
Surfers Paradise Street Circuit
Sydney Motorsport Park
The Bend Motorsport Park

Grade 3:
Adelaide Street Circuit
Hidden Valley Raceway
Mount Panorama Circuit
Newcastle Street Circuit
Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit
Queensland Raceway
Symmons Plains Raceway
Townsville Street Circuit
Wanneroo Raceway
Winton Motor Raceway
Thanks CR - for some reason I thought that SMP had let the grade 2 rating lapse. So the "new" power cut for Bathurst will no doubt apply to all circuits in Oz, other than SMP, Bend and Surfers.

As S5000 are FIA Cat 3 cars though, it MAY apply everywhere they run and be applied to the cars' homologation, regardless of the circuit being used. We'll find out with time I guess.