View Single Post
Old 14 Jun 2013, 09:03 (Ref:3262546)   #14
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
[admin]
Folks, out of respect for both those who wish to discuss the incident and those who wish to express their condolences - and more importantly, anyone closely related to this incident who may read the forum, this thread has now been split into two. Please bear in mind that anything you say is publically available on the internet and may even come up in a Google search. If you don't want it in the media - and particularly if you don't want it read by anyone who may have been personally affected by this tragic death - then don't say it.

I'm all for discussion of Safety - particularly when something this awful happens. However, please note:
  1. We do not discuss individual incidents - posts alleging misconduct on behalf of anyone involved in this incident will be removed - not because we're trying to suppress discussion but because the only people who have any idea what really happened are those who were there. Anything else is idle speculation, unhelpful and disrespectful. General discussion of the circumstances and how things may be made safer is perfectly ok though.
  2. Marshals are not inviolable and above criticism. I haven't seen it here yet, but it's certainly happened on Social Media. Anyone going up in flames because someone has suggested that Marshals are less than perfect can expect to have their posts removed as well. Reasoned discussion is perfectly ok though.

On a personal note, if I see anyone attempting to post a youtube link to the animated version of this incident on this forum again, not only will they be banned, but I will personally write a letter of complaint about that person to the MSA and any marshalling clubs of which I think they are a member and name and shame them publically on this forum. People dying is NOT entertainment and promoting it is so far beyond acceptable that I don't even have words for it.

[/admin]

Now on the subject in question, one thing that has been mentioned a lot is that he dropped his radio and was trying to pick it up. Personally, that's happened to me a lot on the way to incidents, particularly if getting on and off banks or clambering over tyre walls. Never have I given it any thought other than to stop and pick it up. Leaving it isn't even an option as it's connected to a fistmike so it will just drag on the ground behind me.

Should we be looking at requesting that radios are issued with pouches that can be clipped on to a belt?