View Single Post
Old 29 Jan 2006, 17:00 (Ref:1511353)   #6
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by REALIST
I can make shims to sit the scale pads on but does anyone have any easy ways of checking the 4 pads are all exactly level? I have a mate who is an architect and we did an initial survey with a theodolite and stick but I can't get him over every time I want to check!
You can get a lazer level from Longacre for around £150... but I just popped down to my local B&Q and bought a battery powered high speed spinning lazer level for £27. You just set it up using its own spirit levels in the middle of the floor, then you can level the pads to each other just by holding a small square on each pad and shiming accordingly. You can even level each pad quite accurately by measuring the height to the lazer plane at each corner of the pad. Do be careful when you shim the pads to support them over a reasonable area though

PS, you don't need to use the tripod bit, as the level unit will just sit on the floor and give you a line three or four inches off the floor. Makes measureing the pad height very easy.