ydd
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
ydd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by defuser View Post
Hi Guys,

I am a bit confused as to the correct order of setting cold tyre pressures for racing (GT) which involves soaking tyres under the sun.

So once I get the tyres from the tyre manufacturer, do I...

a) Bleed them to my desired cold pressure, soak them under the sun, and then bleed again to my desired cold pressure and then put them on the car and run

or

b) directly soak them under the sun, and then bleed them (only once) to my desired cold pressures before putting them on the car to run ?

Thanking in advance !

I wrote quite a long reply to this and linked it to an article on my blog, but as I'm new here I don't think I am aloud to link yet!

In essence, what I think you are after is to be able to know for sure that the pressures you set beforehand will enable the car to achieve perfect hot tyre pressures when out on track?

The issue is that the sun soak heats the tyre in an unpredictable way. Any change in ambient and track temperature will also have some effect here.

You therefore need to establish a solid before and after status immediately before and then status after the car has been on track.

Then I'd suggest using a combination of a scaling factor approach, plus a pressure delta, to correct things if they are not where you want them to be.

How much does the sun soak affect the cold pressures?