Thread: WEC WEC 2019/20 season
View Single Post
Old 22 May 2019, 19:38 (Ref:3905265)   #214
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I sort of brought this up in the IMSA thread, but I'd like to expand upon it here. Is there much of a performance gap between GT3 and GTE/GTLM cars now? A lot of them seem to have similar aero, similar power plants and power ratings, similar base minimum weight, and so on.

Could GT3 maybe be a reasonable replacement or supplement to GTE/GTLM? We already know that the Ferrari 488 and probably the Aston Martin Vantage GT3 and GTE cars are or at least seem very similar. Also, GT3 seems to be more privateer friendly and in addition to Aston Martin, Porsche, Ferrari and (possibly) Ford, you have Audi, Lamborghini, Honda/Acura, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, McLaren and probably 1 or 2 that I'm neglecting to name.

So should the ACO maybe down the road look at GT3 to replace the current GTE regs, since the cars have been moving in a similar direction with regards to rules and that GT3 does seem to be more privateer friendly and has more variety than present day GTE?