View Single Post
Old 27 Jun 2018, 09:37 (Ref:3833306)   #131
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
The series' very existence depends upon the organisers adjusting specs , imposing performance penalties to give the public the show they seem to want . The collateral damage of a regime like that is that unsuccessful teams will moan about successful ones , the reasons for that success and the motivation behind it . BTCC is a very successful reality TV show and that's just fine as long as we accept that is all it is .

The alternative is to have one set of non adjustable rules, perhaps also with a class system - as the then BSCC used to have . The fan demographic was confined more to the hardcore enthusiast rather than casual TV watchers but I certainly enjoyed it far more with a diversity of engine configurations and sizes than the current near homogenity. There was something very endearing about watching a minnow like a Metro Turbo humble big power Rovers and BMWs etc in the wet .
A very good summation of the current situation, a possible alternative , and what's happened in the past. I enjoyed those 'good old days' too, but yet, I'd guess I was what would have been called a hardcore enthusiast. The current package certainly draws in much bigger crowds and the live TV coverage accesses many more people, far better that the races being show a couple of weeks later on Grandstand, but not at the originally published time so if you'd set the machine to record it, you'll probably get 20 minutes of horse racing or tiddlywinks instead! (I know I did.)