View Single Post
Old 27 Mar 2021, 23:57 (Ref:4043346)   #31
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
If we're going down this route then I'd point out that Hamilton wasn't "beaten" by Rosberg in 2016, he was beaten by a car that broke more often than Rosberg's and more often than any Mercedes in any of the years of their hybrid-era dominance.

It's amusing to think how Senna would have reacted to watching a German driver win in a German-made car with an Austrian team boss, having had the mechanics swapped around, while suffering a series of breakdowns competely out of the norm for the car/team.

Whatever the what-ifs, Prost beat Senna to the 1989 title in the same car; Rosberg beat Hamilton to the 2016 title in the same car.

Personally I don't hold this against either of them, especially when we're comparing them to Schumacher, who in his periods of dominance never had a team-mate able or allowed to compete with him. I'd rather not 'penalise' Senna or Hamilton for the fact that they drove in teams who hired title rivals to be their teammates and allowed them to race.
You're joking, right?

Senna had the chance of the title taken off him when the FIA disqualified him from the 89 Japanese GP. It was a direct intervention by the FIA who had full control of the situation. They literally decided who won the championship.

Hamilton fans will forever mention Malaysia 2016 until their dying breath. (while also conveniently forgetting 2014, or Massa in Hungary 2008 for that matter) The truth of the matter is, Rosberg drove within himself for the rest of the season knowing he only needed to finish second in the remaining races. Would he have finished ahead of Hamilton if he needed victories? We'll never know.