View Single Post
Old 24 Jun 2007, 06:48 (Ref:1945283)   #13
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Two made it to Europe for Australian teams, but where did the likes of the Serge Power Commodore's come from? Could they have purchased them of TWR (who had a brace of VK's & VL's at the start of 1987 in anticipation of a WTCC assault until Bernie stepped in)
that's the part that I've been wondering about- apart from O'Brien's ex-Grice VK in the BTCC there were at least 3-4 European-based VLs active in Europe in 87. I'm interested by what you said about TWR's brace of VKs and VLs- is that 2 of each, and if so where did they come from

I'd assume an organisation like TWR would have built it's own cars rather than buying them in, but why the VKs? I've got a very vague memory of a picture in Autosport showing a plain white VK with a TWR susnstrip on the windscreen, maybe in late 86, and we know they ran a VL in one 1987 race

This is a total guess, but if they had a brace of both VKs and VLs, could TWR have bought a pair of VKs in late 86 (possibly the ex-HDT 'European' pair?), to get to know the car and run initial testing while building their own VLs for the abortive 1987 WTCC campaign?

Once they'd pulled the plug on the WTCC project, there's no reason why they couldn't have been sold on- TWR obviously kept a VL, the blue/yellow car which appeared at the 'Ring, and then presumably became the prototype 'TWR' VL in 88, but the others being sold on could account for the Serge Power cars etc....