View Single Post
Old 7 Mar 2019, 03:31 (Ref:3888823)   #21
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
*waves hand to say hi*

I visit here pretty irregularly these days with work, life and family mostly replacing time for motorsports, so it's good chance that you posted them now! I appreciate them as well, because they remind me of visiting the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve as a spectator - even though they're from a different era than I visited it. I remember you telling me about how you could visit just about any part of the circuit with a general admission ticket in that era. Today (unless things have changed), they won't let you near the start/finish area without a very expensive ticket.

Even the fact that John Watson is somewhat out of focus reminds me of the challenge of photographing open wheel cars and getting the right parts of the car in focus, making me nostalgic.

Thanks for taking the time to scan them, and post them up here!
well well well, thats funny to see your name and writing. Hello to you too Jay.
As far as I know, the circuit is still very limited to what you can see with a general admission. I havent been to the F1 race for a really long time, I actually dont remember what year I last went, but I did go once there the time NASCAR came, and it was interesting how the promoters had the spectator layout very much like back in those early days of F1 at the track. You could wander around and see the track from all kinds of places, quite close in places, unlike F1 where most places were either off limits with F1, or were curtained off for F1 (so you couldnt see through a fence) or simply had more grandstands and infrastructure in place obscuring the trackview. The ticket prices were even quite reasonable.

re Nascar, it was very strange how given that the marshal and recovery structure would have , I presumed, to be the same, it was maddening how long winded the yellows were at times. Very very Nascar, and certainly didnt endear me to it--although I am sure it must be something seeing it at an oval, with the sounds of the pack being very diff than seeing nascar cars tiptoeing and blundering around turns that go both ways, and hard braking for the love of Pete!

re out of focus. This was probably only my second time using a longer focal length lens, I must have rented a telephoto or something, but I certainly didnt have any experience with shooting with long lenses and fast action at that point.
I remember seeing your stuff in the years we lost touch, and you certainly got the hang of it.
Its a neat thing shooting sports. I ended up shooting a lot of theatre over the years, so having a lot of low light experience even from the film days, shooting wide open, and liking the fast reaction aspect of it, I always appreciated the bit I did sports and applied it to theatre.

but life goes on, I wish you the best. I still follow F1, still prefer motogp because of my past with motorcycles and how close generally the racing is, and the whole "body language" aspect of bike racing that is so visible and different than F1.

well, was quite a surprise to see your name. Been a long time. My kids are adults now, so life really does go on.....