Thread: 300 mph....
View Single Post
Old 23 Jul 2010, 11:48 (Ref:2731109)   #1
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
300 mph....

Guys,
Been on here a long time... shared a few opinions, hopefully offered some advice. But despite this (!) I feel that my life is a little unfulfilled.
A recent (major) birthday and the impending arrival of another kid got me thinking about the record books...
We looked closely at the 24hr records for a production car, sorted a manufacturer and a track but the costs of the FIA inspection killed the project.
Then I heard of a Bonneville Streamliner for sale... 2 guys who built it had decided it had just got too quick for them but they wanted a younger (!) man to run it to it's full potential on the Salt Lake this August.
So Aug 14th -20th I'm going to make an attempt on the 1 litre turbo Land Speed Record... 313mph is the current mark, so a fraction over 500kph...
It won't be easy and it won't be safe. But I'm not sure anything worth doing is...
And if I break a record over 300mph I get Life Membership to the Bonneville 300mph club. Only 6 Brits are in there currently we think, Sir Malcolm Campbell, Donald Campbell, John Cobb, Capt GET Eyston, Richard Noble + Wing Cmdr Andy Green. I would be #7.

I'm not doing it for charity, I'm not doing it for publicity, I'm doing it because it's there.

Wish me luck? And keep an eye out, there is supposed to be a live blog happening on Evo magazines website where I'll try and keep you all updated.

Cheers
Rick