View Single Post
Old 4 Nov 2016, 00:54 (Ref:3685188)   #177
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After today's news that Montreal native Lance Stroll will be driving for Williams in 2017, The promoter of the Canadian GP publicly expressed his hope that this news will benefit the race by boosting ticket sales. But I don't know exactly what Dumontier must do to have the "provisional" label removed from the 2017 race.

Montreal's Lance Stroll officially named driver for Williams F1 team
Kevin Mio, Montreal Gazette
More from Kevin Mio, Montreal Gazette
Published on: November 3, 2016

...The promoter of the Canadian Grand Prix, François Dumontier, issued a statement shortly after the news broke.

“I am delighted that Lance Stroll is reaching Formula 1 and I wish him all manner of success,” Dumontier said. “He is an earnest and industrious young man who has come up through the racing ranks to realize his dream and compete in Formula 1.

“It is interesting to note that this same Williams team also gave Jacques Villeneuve his first F1 drive and was his employer when he became World Champion. And this team is now doing the same with Lance. Williams has always had a special relationship with Montreal and the Canadian Grand Prix since Alan Jones won his and the team’s first drivers’ World Championship right here in 1980.”

Dumontier spoke of Stroll and other young Canadian racers this year, saying at the time it would be great for the Montreal race to have some local talent.

“Lance Stroll will begin his Formula 1 career during the year when we will be celebrating 50 years of Formula 1 in Canada, so his arrival may be seen as a wonderful anniversary present for the most important sporting event in the country,” Dumontier said Thursday.

This year, Stroll answered some questions from the Montreal Gazette ahead of the 2016 Canadian Grand Prix.