View Single Post
Old 17 May 2003, 00:04 (Ref:601499)   #1
pitviper
Racer

pitviper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bringing back the IMSA GT

(nomex on and zipped)

guys, i really think that the future of sportscar racing lies in the GT scene. am i against the prototypes? no. most certainly not. but quite honestly, prototypes i fear will NEVER be able to break the cyclical mold that they are embedded in. now, before you fire back at that, yes, i understand that GT's can be very much the same way, the difference is, it seems that the prototypes will be inherently more difficult to sustain strongly year in and year out, while the various GT "collapses" throughout the years have come more from political boo hooing or major misuse of the rulebooks.

the GT model seems almost simple to me. larger manufacturers develop cars that are great on the road, but can also be purchased for professional racing by customers. each manufacturer supports a range of teams (much like the JGTC or old CART model) to help defray costs and fill grids. race cars can be developed in house (for the most part) by manufacturers like audi, or bentley.

what would happen to the constructors?! entities such as Lola, R&S, DBA, Courage, Piper, Dallara, etc. would be enlisted to help develop the race cars for smaller manufacturers, such as Pagani or Saleen. not to mention the talents from teams such as Joest, ORECA, Prodrive, Raffy, Pesca, DAMS, 3GR, etc. this would keep everyone in business, and cars moving on the assembly line.

where are the customers going to come from? in the same way that we argue series A vs. series B vs. series C, and so on and so on dilute the sport, i believe unfortunately that the same is sometimes true with the sheer class structure in and of itself. i think that the future vitality of the sport lies in the streamlining of its nature. by concentrating on production based machines, one could very conceivably fill a beautiful grid with amazing machines and killer racing. and it would put everybody on a much closer scale. would it not be more exciting to see a battle for overall win unfold over 24 glorious hours between sportscars/supercars from Dodge, Pagani, Ferrari, Audi, Chevy, Ford, Saleen, Ascari, Bentley, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW and more? not only this, but manufacturers would be able to help alleviate costs with the sales of the road cars, situationally dependant of course. and with these cars you have instant product correlation! if i had a dollar for every time someone said, "THAT'S an Audi?!" or "THAT thing is a Bentley?!" i could start my dream of manufacturing my own supercars a lot sooner. we live in a GranTurismo age guys, and racing what you sell provides a much better way of attracting NEW FANS. isn't that what the ALMS is all about? guys, we know we have a great fan base of wonderful people...but it's not going to sustain the sport. we have 974 members at my last count on this board (note, this is in reference to the IMSA TALK forum). do you realize that there are 12,267 registered members on the granturismo.com message board? people...there folks we aren't reaching. and i believe that showcasing a product that is a bit more accessible could be the key.

"i want my LMP's!"
i think that the only way prototype racing could ever reach it's full potential is if it were structured more like formula one. imagine 22-30 of the most high tech, cost irrelevant, beautifully exotic machines made out of all the unobtainium ore on the planet, full fenders gloriously ready to pounce, huge wings ablaze, ready to tear up 15 equally exotic locations on the planet. two car teams, manufacturer support, all the trimmings, etc. etc. this is the arena that the prototypes should be in. they are 5 times as gorgeous as the F1 cars, but i love the tech and the aura of the F1 scene. imagine combining them?! but alas, since F1 exists the way it does, this dream probably never will.

"why don't you snort some ground GARRA?"
because LeMans is my heart. i think that ACO/IMSA marriage is a GOOD thing. and i think it has the potential to be so much more! especially by harnessing the power of it's tradition and history to create an even more impressive future. and i think that GARRA has dropped the ball on many an aspect that it could have employed to make it's own brand far more appealing. do i still watch their races? sure. but do i only experience the pure exhilaration of holding my breath for 24 hours on a weekend in mid June? you got that right.

overall i think that the condition of sportscar racing right now is a good one. and that's why i think that there needs to be steps taken to assure it's vitality in the coming ages despite the unavoidable economic tides, both high and low. there are also many details within my own argument that i haven't even worked out with myself, or have, and simply haven't the time to expound into them all (nor do you need to be subjected to any more right now! ). but anyway, i welcome all comments and criticisms, thank you for letting me speak a piece, rant or not...lol. cheers to all of you. we really are a family, and as such, the bigger picture must always be in view even as we enjoy the present...

Godspeed,
pit