View Single Post
Old 19 Feb 2020, 09:46 (Ref:3958434)   #9
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
One big set back for most Brits is a lack of the Nordschleife Permit, which, I think, served to stop this fabous event. If the Permit requirement was to be removed I'm certain far more would show an interest.
Just one accident caused this to come about. Someone had only simulator experience and apparently drove the car as if he was still on the simulator!
I would agree that it is preventing a number of people to join the fest but I would also say that it should become mandatory for many more Competitions.

I have lapped the Nordschleife in rental cars as well as with a daily car given the number of years I've visited the Oldtimer, I've also sat in the passenger seat of experienced guys such as Jeremy Welch in his Healey - who was cornering way faster than the modern cars around.

But the Nordschleife is one of these old gems, narrow, twisty and above all, lacking the modern run-offs that so many drivers or "kids" would be used to today and I think it is not a bad idea to have a requisite permit to race the course. I believe you only realise how historic the sport can be the day you crash a car properly and given the green hell aspect, this is not the place you want this to happen.

I believe this should be done for circuits like Le Mans as well. Not as narrow, way more modern in its design and amount of run-offs but the traffic and high speed are parameters which can make a simple move a dramatic situation, so is night racing but above all the fact that rookies are let out on such tracks in historic today.

Historic is fun but let's always remember that speed and stupidity do not mix very well in certain circumstances.