View Single Post
Old 13 Feb 2020, 16:46 (Ref:3957471)   #40
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Sadly, this now comes across as a bit tin hat-ish.

Youtube is a Google company, so obviously it is not being censored by them if you can watch it on their platform?
Why is movement to EVs as a current/future technology a left wing agenda. If I'm not mistaken, the current changes to UK policy regarding ICE powered vehicles are being delivered by a government that is right of centre?

With regards to the claims that 'A large container ship would need a 1 million ton battery & aircraft will not get off the ground', then we already have real world examples that disprove this.

A retrofitted DHC-2 de Havilland Beaver seaplane is currently going through final testing, after successfully proving the technology as viable.
The Rolls-Royce, Airbus and Siemens programme 'E-Fan X' is scheduled to begin flights in 2021.

Admittedly, we are not at the point where a fully electric aircraft can carry 3-digit passenger numbers on long ranges, but you have to consider how long it took to progress from the Kitty Hawk to the Model 14 Benoist air-boat (13 years).
It took roughly 50 years, and the development of jet-powered airliners, before long-haul wide-body transportation became available.
Don't assume that what is possible today will always remain so, or you undermine the ability of the human race to advance in the field of technology.

When steam traction was king, many could not see how internal combustion could change things.

As for the claim that a large container ship would require a 1 million ton battery - I suggest the author looks at the real-world example of battery-electric locomotive power.
In comparison to diesel engine locomotives, electric railways offer substantially better energy efficiency, lower emissions and lower operating costs. Electric locomotives are also usually quieter, more powerful, and more responsive and reliable than diesels.

Metronet locomotives for example weigh 15 tonnes and have a capacity to haul that is roughly equivalent to a 12 tonne (plus fuel) diesel equivalent.

A more sensible opinion comes from the IEEE - which calculates the total requirement for an 18,000 TEU cargo ship to go from Hong Kong to Hamburg as being a battery weight of 100,000 metric tons (non-stop).
Currently, it is not economically viable to replace the diesel motor (and fuel tanks) with an all-electric power-train.
But it will not be long before the balance tips, initially to complete the journey with charging stops and eventually non-stop. The GWh/kg capacity of batteries is continually improving and fuel costs are rising. Shipping firms will take the most cost-effective option, which is continually heading to all-electric.

If you don,t believe that Google does censorship , then you must be ignoring the obvious .
Have you never clicked on a Google search to find " This Site Cannot provide A secure Connection " . That is because they do not like it & are trying to stop people it .
And you can get straight through there using a different search engine .

And as for your opinions about electric power ,being worth more than a very experienced scientist , then I think I know who I would rather believe .