View Single Post
Old 17 Sep 2018, 11:58 (Ref:3851016)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Being from the days where second might be a lap behind the winner, I gave it a 7 as I usually do. I save higher (or lower) for those really special occasions.

'In my 60s and still have an attention span of more than an apple and wonder why so many expect a nose to nose race all the time or else consider the sport rubbish.... We're still seeing the best minds building and developing the best machines; and the best teams and drivers getting the most out of them. Of course on most days the racing won't be close. On many, the fields will be spread out. As they should.

The fields are closer than ever and there's still complaining. I don't understand....

Wanting contrived "exciting racing" all the time, all one needs to do is watch NASCAR, IndyCar, or BoPed sportscars. A shame that many want not to see the best shine in favor of supposed "excitement". Isn't that nearly exciting as "scripted" entertainment one can find in the theatre or on the "tube"? I guess I answer my own question.
Of course, to each his own.
But I think you miss the point. When you and I started watching racing, we could see the drivers working the wheel. The cars slid around, rather than steered around corners, they drifted instead of power over steered, there was less reliability. These and many more reasons go to explain why the racing is just plain tedious today. But I and many others more qualified than me, have been saying this for ages.

The majority of comments from Goodwood related to how much sliding we saw. And it was noticeable (at least to me) that the Can Am cars with their rudimentary aero actually moved around much less.