View Single Post
Old 15 Oct 2019, 16:31 (Ref:3934715)   #2
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Regarding the numbers built, a lot depends on the question how you count the first generation one-make cars like the Porsche 997 GT3 Cup, the Ferrari 430 Challenge or the Viper CC. Back in 2006, they were all elegible - with minor modifications - for GT3 competition and especially the Porsche Cup car was produced in massive numbers - I'd be surprised if the Porsche alone didn't account for 500 cars.

I guess, though, that you are more interested in the slightly later 2nd generation of GT3 cars, i.e. the first group of really bespoke cars such as the original Audi R8, the BMW Z4 and the Mercedes SLS. It's quite surprising, but you really don't see many of those around anymore, even in club competition - now I don't know what the reason for this could be, but those 2009 - 2014 cars really aren't raced anywhere in great numbers despite there being so many of them around.