Thread: IMSA: 2020
View Single Post
Old 6 Jul 2020, 02:05 (Ref:3986104)   #657
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
Sorry, that won't work. Not all the cars have the same speed/pace potential if you simply remove the BoP. Take the Porsche GT3R for example -- if you take the restrictor out, it gains a tiny amount of power, but not enough to make it worthwhile. If you take the restrictor out of any of the turbo V8's or the Audi it's massively faster. Also, the confidential Michelins are *designed* for the GTLM cars they're used on. You can't simply slap them on a GT3 car and be as quick as GTLM. Granted, they'll still be faster than customer tires, but not fast enough to necessarily justify the cost -- they'll also be vastly better for some chassis than others because they've been developed with such a narrow operating window.

It wouldn't surprise me if IMSA were to do something like modify GT3 cars to replace GTLM because they like to be different and have people spend more money than needed, but it's not a good idea. They should just have real Pro lineups in standard GT3 cars and call it GT and have *real* Am's (maybe w/ a Pro co-driver) in GTD w/ the same standard GT3 cars.

But anyway, what do I know. They've never listened to me before why would they start now.

-mike
You are probably right as usual Mike. Still I see IMSA really thinking they need a short term boost to keep the class going for 2 more years. Mixing DP and LMP2 in 2014 seemed more crazy than this idea.