View Single Post
Old 19 Dec 2006, 22:01 (Ref:1795194)   #4
meb
Rookie

United States
Wappinger Falls, New York
meb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My amateur statis is by now apparent . I'm a weekend warrior on the track and I like to know why and how things work...I cannot accept that they just do. So my uneducated background on occasion is prone to asking some really dumb questions.

...the sweet spot...torque is a much better word than force. My vision, which may be a disability, of the relationship between the CofG and roll centers and their migration is fundamental to how a car handles. I may have read into a reply about roll centers and this prompted the sweet spot question. Let me re-phrase. As a car turns, a torque is transmitted about the roll centers to the CofG, correct? If this is so, then the length of the invisible lever arm determines the amount of torque transmitted to the CofG? Does the length of the lever arm also independently affect the rate of roll? In this question, I'm concentrating literally on the relationship between the CofG and RC - meaning, what will the effects of a short or long lever be with regard to torque and rate of roll without consideration given to damping and springs rates? I'm looking for the most fundamental physical actions that occur, not components that control these.

I too use my dampers to control transitions thru turns. These transitions can either scare me or build confidence.

How would I use this information? I'm simply trying to establish an ideal relationship between track width modifications, ride height, and, spring rates for my 2005 JCW Mini cooper. The damping, swaybar adjustments and camber/toe adjustments I see as fine tuning.

If this helps, the tires are Toyo RA1s - 205/40/17. I would have preferred 16" wheels, but the 12.4" front rotors will not clear a smaller diameter wheel.

Thank you for your help,

Michael

Last edited by meb; 19 Dec 2006 at 22:09.