Thread: How to fix F1?
View Single Post
Old 2 Sep 2020, 18:21 (Ref:3999689)   #1512
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I disagree. DRS is a technology change, just like pre-stressed member engines or carbon fibre tubs.

The basic fundamental principle of F1 is to drive about 200 miles faster than all the other competitors. Everything else - every piece of technology, every rule - is secondary to that, which is why they can change so frequently but the basics are the same: drive faster than the others.

The change of ball in footy is the same - the basic fundamental principle is to accumulate more match points than any other team over the course of a season/tournament, or beat everyone you play in a tournament. You could do it in shoes made of blancmange with a uranium ball if the rules allowed that, but they would be secondary to the fundamental principle: score more points than any other team.
I guess one way to view it would be to imagine you were a fan of the sports in 1960.

If you sat a football fan from 1960 in a premiership ground today, they would recognise the sport they are watching as football. They might ask what the pitch side monitor is for, or wonder why tackles are being penalised, but would not think they were watching a different sport.
Same with F1. Sit a fan at Sochi today and they would recognise the sport as F1. They would ask what rule governs the DRS flap, or why drivers can only move once in the braking zone, but wouldn't think it was a different sport.

To that end, I feel the sport today is fundamentally the same.