View Single Post
Old 20 Mar 2020, 09:10 (Ref:3965721)   #126
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
In the final analysis, I don't expect Coronavirus to be responsible for many more deaths than the average yearly toll attributed to 'normal' flu, and I'm still waiting for someone (anyone!) to explain to me why we have this seemingly OTT reaction to it all?
The 'normal' flu, as you put it, is a known risk and we have vaccinations in place. The death toll is high, but it is predictable and manageable. We are also able to protect the vulnerable from this, and are aware of the scale of impact.
It is also a well established virus, that can be seen as a constant - the horse has already left the stable on that one.

COVID-19 is a new virus that the eventual scale of is not known. An adviser recently said that they are hoping to kill this virus off in it's first year, to prevent it becoming a seasonal risk. If it has the potential to establish a degree of permanence, we get one chance to prevent that, and that is now.