View Single Post
Old 12 Apr 2014, 12:26 (Ref:3391441)   #108
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFA851 View Post
I think half of Betty's sponsorship woes are down to her, her image, and how she presents herself. I mean what kind of company is going to shell out a cool million + when the public figurehead appears on TV and trackside in her "mowing the lawn" clothes, is covered in tattoos, and has a different hair colour every time you turn around? That's before she's even opened her mouth, and we all know that she's always "speechless" because that's all she ever says. That is just not the appearance and commentary that a million dollar sponsor is looking to associate themselves with. The way she presents herself and interviews, I also think she comes off as the poor little rich girl, and people don't tend to take a liking to people that have everything handed to them on a silver plate / tall poppy syndrome, let alone throw millions more at them.
I'm not Australian so I don't know if it's different there, but in this day and age I don't think the tattoos and hair would get in the way of too much. Of course there are sponsors that don't want anything to do with that, but there are others that won't care or might see it as something that attracts more attention.

To me the bigger problem is that she is too much the focal point. It isn't "Erebus Racing, and sometimes their quirky owner, Betty" it's "that character Betty and her racing team" if that makes any sense.

I know if I was looking to sponsor a team, I wouldn't look at them with any confidence that my product would get better ROI there than anywhere else on pitlane, where teams are sure to drink their energy drinks in front of the cameras, put on their branded hats, make little "the boys will have to bust out the (insert tool name here) tools tonight, we got some work to do!" type mentions, or even rename their teams to include their title sponsor. I would doubt that it could ever become "Erebus Racing with Accident's company" instead of "that crazy Betty and her racing team that also has some stickers on their cars now."