Thread: Oulton Gold Cup
View Single Post
Old 21 Aug 2021, 22:11 (Ref:4069009)   #20
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
There does seem to be a reluctance from some of the southern "elite" to come north of Donington. Croft and Oulton Park always get a thinner entry ands there has never been any success getting a decent historic meeting at Knockhill.
Living in the far north of England I am amazed at the lack of knowledge of geography of some of our southern friends. One fellow competitor in the GTS series suggested Anglesey was nearer to me. I had to point out that while for me it was 200 miles to Donington it was in fact 220 to Anglesey.
It's the same with the various TV series of so called celebs touring the UK at the moment. It would seem most had never visited the Lake District let alone Scotland. What a blinkered world they live in.
It works both ways... I'm mainly involved with the HSCC and some people from the North West complain bitterly about having to drive to Brands for the Superprix in early July (and several don't bother) yet those of us in the South endure August Bank Holiday traffic to get to and from Oulton for the Gold Cup meeting every year.

As midgetman says, once you got to Dover (in happier times) then the real driving could start. We had a very good entry of Historic FF2000 cars at Pau which is well over 1000km from Calais. Most of our guys were towing a trailer behind a small motorhome or camper.

It doesn't matter if it's Croft or Charade - it's all down to having a spirit of adventure...