View Single Post
Old 11 Jun 2019, 07:09 (Ref:3909304)   #18
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'm not sure how the first part of your thought and your proposed rules are necessarily, directly related. If it's faster to throw the air gun, that's what they'll do, rather than run around the car with it.

As for ramifications:
1. Stops become longer with your rules, and it's probably safer for the pit crew to be out on the lane for less time overall.
2. Clearing up the equipment can probably be done faster without the car there.
3. Having all the guys trying to panic scramble over the wall twice with each stop is probably more hazardous and unsafe.
4. Having the guy toss the gun and then have his full attention on carrying the wheel and tire probably reduces errors, thus reducing the likelihood of having to chase a loose wheel, and so the guy is out in the firing line for less time.
5. If all the guys are waiting on the wall, and someone does a Sato, the chances are greater that someone topples off and gets injured.

There may be others, but anyway. So it miay just be the prevailing wisdom that the stops go smoother and faster, with fewer errors and penalites, with the way things are now.

I don't know what the deal is with the recent spate of pit issues. Perhaps there was some sort of light or contrast issue at Indy and Texas. With that deflector in front of the driver's face, could a few of the drivers be having their eyes doing something odd that they're not fully aware of that's making the pit approach a potential problem? I honestly don't know. I do know that they changed the aeroscreen concept because the test drivers noted issues with their eyes having to refocus when they were looking through it or not.