View Single Post
Old 20 Jan 2014, 23:32 (Ref:3356449)   #50
Holden308
Rookie

Holden308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched the Adelaide round of the ATCC recently and it was interesting to hear Mike Raymond say that Allan Moffat (back in Oz before heading back to Spa) noted that it was night and day between the JPS BMW M3's and the M3's he had been racing against in Europe (meaning that the Schnitzer and CiBiEmme cars would have wiped the floor with Frank's All Blacks).

IIRC, neither Jum or Tony had a full blown M3 until the Surfers round, and even then it was only the #3 car. This was because the JPS cars were pretty much last cab off the rank when it came to parts supply from BMW, the WTCC teams being first in line, then the M3's running in the UK and Europe, then Franks little team in Sydney.

From what I know (and I may be wrong), the JPS M3's pretty much ran with 325i running gear and suspension for the first half of the ATCC, although Richards finished second at Symmons and won at Lakeside (and had pole at Calder and Adelaide). Its no coincidence that once the team got their hands on a full M3 that Jim Richards started to show how good the little car was and won 3 of the last 4 rounds to take the title from under Glenn Seton's nose.