View Single Post
Old 9 Aug 2011, 07:58 (Ref:2937545)   #11
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller View Post
F3 remains a very important formula, where the driver can learn about proper driving techniques and engineering feedback skills. It is also the only formula in Europe with proper downforce before F1, save FR3.5 and GP3/2 of course.
I think the point about down force is well made. I spoke to one F3 engineer last year who reckoned his driver was struggling big time with the down force in F3 despite having done F2 the year before. The same driver went back to F2 and is a front runner.

I just wish that the economics of F3 allowed different chassis manufacturers to compete against each other again. I miss March Vs Chevron Vs Ralt etc or Reynard Vs Ralt but I guess that dates me.

Perhaps one way of reducing costs is to share engines with another formula. So, F3 could use the same NGTC engines as BTCC or the 1.6 Turbo engines at WTCC. At least the manufactureres would be developing engines for several applications. Yes, I know that's supposed to be what's happening but there already seems to be some divergence from this.

I'm also not convinced that going down the winglet & bespoke aero development route is a good thing for the racing or the budget.