View Single Post
Old 23 Feb 2017, 23:37 (Ref:3714367)   #32
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I don't see the actual laptops being that much of a problem - surely they can run the old software on new laptops in a VM? (we run a version of DOS on a VM for one legacy system for example). Getting the software off the older laptops would be a one-off pain in the arse but after you've done it then you've got it in a usable form for the future.

Again any specific hardware relating to the setup (as per the McLaren example above) surely is beyond the wit of man to resolve either? Again - it's a pain in the arse to do but if were to rebuild it you could make it wireless, use bluetooth or whatever. This is the sort of thing that you throw out to the internet and say "make this work" and someone will come back with a solution. Geeks love a challenge.
A couple of the older softwares required a dongle in one of the ports to validate that it was a licenced copy, so you couldn't just load the same software on a half dozen PCs...

Presumably the technogumbies with lots of time & resources could emulate the effect of the dongle and keep the old software sweet...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House