View Single Post
Old 2 Sep 2016, 18:01 (Ref:3669254)   #53
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I can't say that I really enjoyed LMP2 back when you were just waiting to see who would be the last one standing, or the last one to break down. The main point of interest, in the periods when it happened, was how the P675/2 cars were doing relative to the P900/1 cars when the smaller machines could give them a run for it on pace.

I suspect you may be frustrated tomorrow with P2s caught in the middle and fouling up the GTE fight, or making dive-bomb moves to get by GTs, and taking one or two of them out in the process.

Mexico City may be the most clear-cut example of a new or modified circuit done for F1 that really works ONLY for F1. I'm not sure how good of a race even the current Indy Cars can put on here. (Speaking of IndyCar, for a track that 's almost the same length as Austin, the Indy Cars are already lapping Watkins Glen nearly 20 mph faster than the pole mark set by F1 at CotA.)

As another example of how much the Mexico City circuit has changed, the LMP2s have yet to lap as quickly (in mph) as the Group 7 cars lapped the original 3.107-mile course back in 1968 for the 1000km USRRC event. (The 1968 Can-Am Group 7 cars would have been even faster.)