Thread: How to start
View Single Post
Old 10 Sep 2013, 19:14 (Ref:3301614)   #161
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarM2603 View Post
Thanks S.Moss! Thats a relief to hear that its not as expensive as people think. In Ireland Rotax Max starts at 16+ so I want be able to race for another year or 2 but I've found KF3 and Junior Max. I'd be racing every 3-4 weeks so tyres wouldn't be every meeting. I've already seen a kart up for sale at 1900EUR with 5 sets of slicks and 2 wets along with axles, jerry cans etc. so I might look into that more. I have a smaller budget than most people so €8000 a year as I heard would be out of the question but hopefully I can get started soon. I've got a question though. I really want to do karting since I'm addicted to motorsport and have fun but I also don't want to be last of all people. KF3 seems I'll be too old 2015 March and Rotax seems to be quite experienced racers. In my situation what would be better to go with? I also don't know much of a difference between Max or Junior/KF3.
Hey Oscar,

Great to hear someone so enthusiastic

Yeh karting is a good way into the sport. Basically you can spend as much as you can afford! I can only tell you from my own perspective from racing in TKM a couple of years back. It cost around £3000 for the year, that included 10 race meetings, entry fees, test days on the Saturday, tyres, spare parts, engine rebuilds etc etc...basically everything. A good second hand Tkm kart was £1000-£2000 including an engine and a spare engine. The engines usually cost £350 each. Rotax is a little more expensive but it has pros and cons...tyre life is less but engine life between rebuilds is more. Parts are usually more expensive on rotax but it really depends on what brand of kart you buy.

Ultimately though it comes down to what class actually races at your local track. Find your local track and work out what's in your age range...at your age it would be jnr rotax, Tkm, blue, kf.....although kf karts aren't as widely used.

Also if you aren't fussed about racing at msa meetings, try non msa racing, which cold include 4 stroke pro karts, formula 6 etc. and if your not fussed about racing but just want a track day toy then buy anything cheep to have some fun on and then when you have learnt a bit and have a bit more money you can build up.

At the end of the day it's as expensive as you want to make it!!!

As said above the karting.co.uk website is very good and has a classifieds section on too

Adam