View Single Post
Old 14 Sep 2015, 12:27 (Ref:3573791)   #139
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
This is all very interesting and based on the last two posts it would appear that McLaren Honda & Red Bull Renault (as it would appear to be a combined Chassis/PSU problem) have both fallen for the same mistake and insisted on a packaging solution that has severely compromised the overall result. Although I'm not aware exactly how the Ferrari turbo is, I'll assume that they have a set-up similar even though it may not be exactly the same as Mercedes.
This shows to me that it is far better for the chassis & PSU designers/engineers to work together instead of one telling the other how to do their job!
The problem now is although we appear to know what is wrong, how can this be resolved? As Mike says, although the semi-frozen design was done in a bit to negate costs, trying to develop their way out of this without a fundamental design change will also cost serious amounts of money and may still not achieve the required results. Although this may not be looked upon as fair to those PSU manufacturers who did get it right from the outset, would a workable solution be for Renault & Honda to 'buy' some special development tokens which would allow such a fundamental chance to the design?