View Single Post
Old 9 Sep 2022, 11:18 (Ref:4125403)   #1300
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Living in the North-West, not too far from the Cuadrilla fracking test site, I was pleased to hear that consideration is being given to again testing our ability to access the huge gas reserves in the Bowland shale - but irritated beyond measure by the cries of "but that'll do nothing to keep us supplied this year".....

Of course it won't, but a large reason we have the problems we have now are because of political short-termism in regard to infrastructure planning - cf Clegg dismissing the plans for more nuclear power 10 years or so ago, "because it wouldn't be ready until the 2020s....."

Arguably what we need now are small-scale modular nuclear reactors, such as Rolls-Royce have planned, which can be delivered in relatively small timescales and deployed near the point of need thus lowering distribution network demand. And fracking!
I think those.who live in the.localities where fracking will take place will be happy if, as I understand it, the fracking companies will pay 25% of their energy bills. Not sure how it will be implemented but it comes back to my point about other countries where energy costs are lower because they sell to the home market at cost.

Andy, whilst I agree with you surely a reactor for a submarine would be insufficient to provide power to any but a few properties. So, I believe the RR mini reactors are entirely new technology. "Mini" in this case being a smaller footprint than the current design, but still significantly bigger than a submarine.