View Single Post
Old 21 Nov 2005, 11:06 (Ref:1466348)   #9
schomosport
Racer

schomosport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pearson
a shame that F3's FR's and no doubt in the future, the FR2000 have to be used in a way that detracts from their handling abilities and so must detract from the pleasure of driving them.
Didn't think it would take long to get there! Prompt for my question is acquisition of an RT30 which I will be running in Monoposto. The general consensus appears that for the Renaults and F3 there is no minimum ride height and hasn't been for many years (Neil's 883 reference). Just wondered if it had always been so and if the 'low as possible' ethos applied for my 1985 car. just curious to know how far away I will be running from its optimum configuration. Since I made reference to the ground effect cars whose flexible skirts were designed to touch the track (albeit under aerodyanamic loading) I guess I have probably answered my own question!

More than one person has advised that the car must also be run with about 25mm rake. Is this applicable to F3 ride height, Mono ride height or both I wonder?

It has been suggested to me that it is the MSA that stipulates a 40mm minimum ride height and that Monoposto have simply had to fall in with this requirement - the F3's are only allowed to run lower only run lower because they are running to FIA regulations. This may just be a smokescreen since I suspect FR run to MSA regs. not FIA.

Single seaters still being parked on the grass last time I was there...Cadwell is not that flat either. Personally I find running at 40mm gives me more than enough problems in getting the thing jacked up, in and out of the trailer, etc. without going any lower. But if I could I would!