Thread: Tyres
View Single Post
Old 26 Dec 2021, 10:46 (Ref:4091351)   #2
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
b) What happens to the thousands of used carcases made by Pirelli?
Pirelli’s Formula One tyre recycling commitment

'All of the tyres are transported back to Pirelli’s engineering and logistics hub at Didcot after each race weekend, where they are finely shredded, along with other road car tyres.

The shredded tyres form small pellets, which are then burnt at extremely high temperatures as fuel for cement factories. These extremely high temperatures, in excess of 1500 degrees centigrade, mean that no noxious fumes are released and the only particles that remain are very fine, non-poisonous, ash.

Pirelli has been using this technology since 2002 in Italy, and also used it throughout since its return to single-seater competitions in 2010. In total, Pirelli will dispose of up to 80,000 competition tyres this year using this method – which has been adopted as well in other countries throughout the world.

Pirelli’s motorsport director Paul Hembery commented: “The environment has always been extremely high on our agenda at Pirelli. The way that we dispose of the tyres is firm evidence of this: in fact, the road surfaces that spectators drive on to get to grands prix in future could well be made up of some of our recycled tyres…”'