View Single Post
Old 19 Jul 2017, 12:45 (Ref:3752781)   #2
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post

Going back to the days when an aspiring karter or someone who fancied this motor racing lark moved into car racing in "our" day the way forward was to get an FF1600 car. One had a choice of chassis manufacturers and engine tuners and a ready market of second hand cars and parts. A good driver had the chance of deals with these firms and a lot of good guys ran the cars themselves with a car and trailer. The many single circuit or local championships allowed drivers to compete with minimal travelling and then move up to National level with help from the chassis and engine firms.
You might be better putting this topic in the Historic Motorsport section as I'd guess there would be more of a discussion.

In my view national single seater motorsport has definitely regressed a long way since the days you mention. People would do National F Ford with a Dad and a lad and a transit van, now you have to an artic lorry, awnings, hospitality, matching floor tiles and grid girls etc etc.

I am probably an old f@@t but I wish we could go back to the days you mention. Time for a cheap single seater formula with List 1b tyres, spaceframe, no aero and something like a 3 cylinder Suzuki turbo engine for power (as used in the bottom of the range Caterham 7. Ban trucks, and only let University teams build and run cars????