View Single Post
Old 17 Oct 2012, 07:39 (Ref:3153214)   #52
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
Even though the money (or less of it) may have been better spent on Hampton Downs, it will be good to see Pukekohe being upgraded as it certainly needed it.
There do seem to be a lot of concrete (non-absorbant) barriers in the upgrade plans. No doubt this is because AV8s has "inherited" them from Hamilton and wanted to use them in order get their "$" contribution as high as possible.
The potential downside of this is that the concrete barrier characteristics of the Hamilton street circuit will be imported to Pukekohe and while this may suit the AV8s who compete there once a year, it will probably be to the detriment of the local racers who use the track for the other 51 weeks of the year as I wonder if a concrete barrier actually makes it safer for cars and drivers on a non-street circuit?
It's all going to depend on positioning of barriers isn't it?

Concrete barrier as first line of protection is very common in Oz & other parts of the world & works fine. Hearing you on the "concrete canyon" though & would be really surprised if that was planned for Puke given that there are existing runoffs. Hope I'm right with that assumption.

Concrete walls tend to be preferred to Armco or similar fencing as the fencing can give way & form a launching ramp if it's in soft ground plus submarining risk is reduced. Various other smaller points but I think that those are the main ones.