View Single Post
Old 8 Dec 2013, 23:18 (Ref:3341758)   #5
mab01UK
Veteran

mab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have checked the book 'Mini - The Racing Story' by John Baggott but no mention there either.......this would have been around 1971-74. I think Robin Brookes father prepared his race Mini....I remember they were often alongside my brothers race Mini (see below) in the paddock and always seemed to have one of the best prepared and quickest 850 Mini's. My brother Ray Bell worked with Paul Butler (DJ Bond & Automex Mini) at a BL Garage in Ewell....Paul later had his own garage 'Barwell Motors' in Chessington, Surrey and raced single seaters. My brothers tow car was a 1965 Mk1 Ford Cortina Estate which was metallic blue with white side stripes as it had previously been owned by DJ Bond. I think he must have bought it from them as I remember him removing the 'DJ Bond' signwriting on the sides.

Have just scanned some old 'period' album pictures which I thought I would share, of my older brothers (Ray Bell) 850cc Free Formula Special Saloon Mini at Silverstone & Brands Hatch in 1972, wheels were 6x10 Mambas + Dunlop and later Firestone 1B19 6.0x19.3x10 slicks with Dunlop CR65 Mk11 (320) 5.00L-10 used on S reverse rims for the wet. The body was an early 1961 Mk1 ex-Mini 7 shell bought for £25 and we 'updated' it cutting apertures for Mk2 rear lights!
Mini 7 ace Chris Tyrell modded the head at his Leatherhead, Surrey workshop along with my own modded road Mini's at the time.........in later years my younger brother Steve Bell went on to become Chris Tyrell's race mechanic and ultimately a Mini 7 champion himself in 1997, so this is where it all started!

Brands Hatch also in 1972 (The mis-matched blue fibreglass bootlid was a hasty replacement for some previous weekends damage!)

Below in paddock - 2nd December 1973 Brands Hatch

Last edited by mab01UK; 8 Dec 2013 at 23:39.