Thread: IMSA: USCR 2018
View Single Post
Old 12 Apr 2017, 17:32 (Ref:3725901)   #37
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Let me be clear here, please, that I am Not complaining about BoP. I think the series got it right for the first three races.

As Mr. Jonerz points out the Oreca and the Nissan should be dangerous competitors once they are sorted out.

Judging by the performance shown at Sebring, in particular, I’d suggest anything not based on a Riley would be a good investment. And even then, no one knows what a really good team and a really good test program might get out of a Riley.

So far though ... the Caddy has everything—more power, more torque, more reliability, more testing.

IMSA might offer some really good racing for the rest of the season ... and I would suggest they have put on two-and-a-half really good races so far.
While the Daytona BoP was off, I think DPi has a ton of potential. It is not P1, but it is not meant to be. The biggest thing is giving the privateers access to competitive cars at reasonable prices and mixing that with some factory support. It is setup in a way where if a manufacturer wants to bring an alternative technology (hydrogen, electric, etc.) to the table (like the Deltawing in P though this is a stretch) the series can performance balance it in with a more open rule book. I would like to see Michelin back in the top class long term, but do understand the economics that the series has to work with. Long term the series has proven they can get GTLM & GTD right with cars that are a lot more diverse and has to get it right in P if the class is going to attract new teams, sponsors, and manufacturers long term. I still think there would be a lot of benefit going to a P1 (DPi/P2, open tires, all-pro) and P2 (DPi/P2, spec tires, Pro/Am). However, they will figure it out in time.

Last edited by Dyson Mazda; 12 Apr 2017 at 17:51.