View Single Post
Old 17 Sep 2014, 20:13 (Ref:3454453)   #16
datapost61
Rookie

datapost61 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Penultimate Round - Sept 14th

Malcolm could not attend as (by now) he is off to Spa with some of the guys so I'll do my best! - no pics as I was busy!

A depleted field as much of the 'big stuff' (TR8s, Morgans, Mustangs) were off to Spa and didn't want to take a risk a couple of days before...

R1
After several meetings of mechanical woes Stan Bernard (class D 911) put it on pole and went on to win race 1 ahead Championship Leader Ray Boyd halting Ray's 100% class record. I won class A gaining precious points on Ray. Harry Simpson (class G Ginetta) spun into the gravel at the hairpin for a DNF after an attempt to dive down the inside of Stan at the hairpin which brought out the safety car for 3 laps.

R2

Boyd took the lead from Bernard from the off but Harry Simpson in the Ginetta delivered a stunning drive from the back of the grid to the lead by the end of Lap 5 which he held to the flag with Boyd 2nd followed by Bernard. After a poor start and a bit of contact with Ian Morton's Midget at the first corner I took Class A, albeit with reduced points (16 as opposed to 25) as Ken Brearley's mini didn't make the start after a R1 DNF with a broken valve meaning the minimum full points starters number was not met.

Class championships are decided but the overall title is (mathematically) still open.
Ray Boyd (class D 911) leads Steve Uphill (me, Class A Fiesta 1300) by 42 points and I lead Harry Simpson (Class G Ginetta G4) by a further 42 points in 3rd.
With 2 races up to 25 points each at the final round on 5th October a change is possible but I've already practised congratulating Ray through gritted teeth!

Normal commentary and Malcolm's superb photos will reveal all after the October round.
Steve (Datapost Fiesta 1300 #61)