Thread: WEC 2017 WEC Season
View Single Post
Old 16 Aug 2016, 02:38 (Ref:3665850)   #13
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
I voted for COTA, because I think the WEC is stubborn, kind of clueless, and really does not want to deviate from its business model. That said, I think that a Labor Day weekend date with PWC in 2017 will be a complete disaster, with even lower attendance than what they’ve experienced previously. If the WEC were going someplace else in 2017, we’d probably have heard something about it by now. That’s especially true for Road America.

Now if the 2017 COTA race doesn’t draw, then I think that the WEC might move somewhere else for 2018. The thing about any of the alternative locations (Indy, Montreal, Road America) is that they all work much better in August than September. It remains to be seen if the WEC is flexible enough to do that.

Road America is a special case. If the WEC wants upgrades, that’s going to take time to carry out, probably at least a year, maybe two. The calendar options there are also really interesting. IMSA believes in keeping schedule changes to a minimum and has an early August date there. Would the WEC share a weekend with IMSA or would they show up a couple of weeks later. Not sure that IMSA would appreciate either approach.