View Single Post
Old 24 Mar 2023, 22:01 (Ref:4149069)   #134
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Having been interested and involved in motorsport all my life (my father, brother, myself and my son have all competed) and having attended my first GP at Silverstone in 1958 and several times since (last time in 2012) I can tell you that I was one of those people that totally turned off F1 during the interminably long period of Mercedes domination between 2013 and 2020. The Verstappen/RedBull resurgence in 2021 came as a breath of fresh air and the last two seasons have rekindled my interest. Seems I am not alone.
I don't know what DTS is and it certainly had no part in my new found passion.
I'm not as old as you young fella but similar background and similar outlook by the sound of it. Seeing some genuine competition rather than the Mercedes "cruise & collect" years, definitely rekindled a deeper passion for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Good question and I should have been more specific. After spending much of my life around paddocks I did not become a hermit and, of course, any mention of 'racing', 'F1' etc would catch my interest so I would be aware of what was happening re RedBull and Verstappen. What was missing (and has now returned) was the need to look at the practice results on the F1 website at each GP; watch the qualifying; watch the C4 highlights.
It's good to be back.
Similar here too. In Oz, most GPs are late Sunday night or into the wee hours of Monday morning. During the Mercedes domination years, I might watch the first couple of laps (in case there was some actual competition) but almost every race I'd then head off to bed, knowing that the finishing order would be the same as the order at the end of lap 2 and that the gap to the rest of the field would be huge, despite the Mercedes crew turning everything down.

When actual competition returned in 2021, so did I - now watch practice sessions (not all but most), don't miss qualifying and watch the whole race, am heading off to the AGP next weekend and like you it is good to be back.