Old 9 Jul 2018, 16:30 (Ref:3835691)   #16
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
We had a roughly 4s difference in fastest laps and everyone that finished were on the lead lap. The retirements were mainly due to crashes.

If you read it that way it does not read much different to 1977. The difference is two things: the overall grid is much more competitive than it was 10, 20, 30 40 or 50 years ago. During those time the wins by "small" teams were outliers as they are today, most of the time caused by the more frequent retirements of the faster cars.

The cars are almost bulletproof, thanks to the regulations and quality control. It will not happen as often that fast cars break down and this mixing up the grid and the results.

The old times look nice, feel nice in memory but were not better.

Of course all the finishers were on the lead lap - there were two quite long safety car periods - the last one not too far from the end of the race.

Of course it is different from 1977 - in those days and for many years before and after cars could overtake each other on the track and not just due to 'pitstop strategy'.

Of course the cars are now almost bulletproof - the regulations are so restrictive that just about the only way to get an advantage is to ensure they are so reliable they will always finish.

Of course the old times looked better - because they were - the racing was much superior to todays follow my leader until a pitstop farces.

I will grant that yesterdays race was one of the better ones of recent years because of Hamilton's assisted spin and great recovery but was there much on track overtaking?

I will say that the racing today is so much safer than it was 20 plus years ago and that is a good thing. I can't say that anything else compares to what formula 1 used to be like. Look on YouTube for the 1971 Italian GP - brilliant racing.