View Single Post
Old 11 Nov 2018, 10:32 (Ref:3862361)   #4016
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Glad to see it's happening, hope he gets the win this time. I had a feeling they would do this as a one off
Help me understand, please.

"McLaren Racing announced Saturday that it will contest the 103rd Running of the Indianapolis 500 in 2019 with Fernando Alonso at the wheel."
and:
"McLaren has won the Indy 500 three times, once in 1972 supplying Team Penske and driver Mark Donohue, and twice as a works entry, in 1974 and 1976, with driver Johnny Rutherford. In 2019, it will return as McLaren Racing."

They sure as heck don't design and fabricate the cars (only Dallara can do that, or am I missing a change?), so, 'not following as closely as I used to, what, exactly, is "their" (McLaren's) participation or contesting?

Besides the company's name on the side of an Andretti Autosport car, does any of the company's staff contribute to the physical effort?

If not it's like saying any sponsor...oh, Marlboro or Patron fer instance...participate in racing. I understand contributing funds but....."participating"....."contesting".....?

'Not stirring the pot, 'just don't get it....

Last edited by jimclark; 11 Nov 2018 at 10:39.

jimclark